Leave the Corporate World, Become More, and Achieve Real Success with Zander Fryer
In this week’s podcast episode, we discuss how you can find fulfillment in life with meaningful work outside of the corporate world.
Zander Fryer is a former IT Sales Executive with a quota of $120 million. He left the corporate world behind to become a certified success coach with his company Sh*t You Don’t Learn in College, specializing in transformational work. He’s also a health and wellness entrepreneur educating on prevention and his spirit animal is a French Bulldog.
Our episode today is all about finding fulfillment in your life, starting with your work. Regardless of whether you feel called to entrepreneurship or just want to have a more meaningful job working for someone else, it all starts with getting really clear on who you are and what you want.
Zander shares how despite having a job that from the outside looked very successful, he did not feel fulfilled and felt called to become a coach and teach others.
The biggest hurdle standing in most people’s way is fear of leaving their comfort zone. All the resources you need are out there. Enlisting the help of an accountability buddy, mentor, and/or coach can help you to make the leap.
Zander leaves listeners with the advice, “Just do it. Just get started. You’ll never have the clarity you want until you just start doing something.”
- Zander’s journey from an IT executive to success coach and speaker
- The gamification and built in rewards of the corporate world
- Advice to avoid allowing external forces to dictate your life
- How to handle our loved ones projecting their fears onto us when we take the leap
- What real success means to Zander
- A perspective on how the US education system is geared towards corporations
- The militaristic education system of ancient Greece and how education has evolved over time
- An exercise to determine what brings you joy
- How life should be a dance, rather than a journey
- Zander’s personal development journey after quitting his corporate job
- Tips for paying the bills in a more fulfilling way
- Why being an entrepreneur isn’t for everyone
- The importance of actionable accountability
- Suggestions on choosing an accountability partner
Quotes From The Episode
“Your one resource you can never get more of is your time.”
“The way our current educational system is setup does not lead people to living fulfilled happy successful lives. The current system is not working. It leads people away from their own uniqueness as an individual.”
“Build a business around what you actually care about. That’s how you live a fulfilled life.”
“Get clear on who you are, what makes you tick, and what brings you joy. You can use joy as a compass to a fulfilling life. Problem is a lot of times that joy is on the other side of fear.”
“At the end of the day it’s life and you want to spend as much of that time doing something you enjoy.”
“When you don’t have clarity it is really hard to take action in any direction. Most people don’t make decisions because they are not clear.”
“The problem is we aren’t short on information, we are short on execution. You could do anything you want without spending a dime. The information is out there. You just need to execute.”
“A successful business is not dependent on the strategy you focus on, it’s dependent on the person that you are. Always start with personal development first. You are the reason you didn’t take the actions outside of your comfort zone. Success and failure hinges on you as a person, not on the strategy. If you want to start that passion, you have to become the person.”