Welcome to Jordan
Afternoon / Evening:
- Meet at Queen Alia International Airport (AMM) at 4:00 pm.
- Your Trip Leader will meet you at the airport and you will take included transportation to your hotel located in Amman.
- Settle into your accommodations, attend a welcome meeting, then head out with your new friends for your first dinner together in Jordan.
Amman to Wadi Rum
- After breakfast, explore the ancient Citadel on a guided walking tour. Learn about the Neolithic settlements that once called this area home.
- See the early Bronze Age tombs and the Temple of Hercules before walking down the hill back towards town and past the Roman Theatre.
- Have lunch on your own and then spend some time walking around the city of Amman before returning to the group.
- Along the drive to Wadi Rum, take in the landscapes of Jordan’s countryside before reaching the desert. (~4 hour drive)
- Settle into your campsite that you will call home for the next two nights.
- Feast on a traditional Bedouin meal under the stars of the desert night. Tonight you’ll be sleeping in tents!
The Valley of the Moon
Morning / Afternoon:
- Wake up and enjoy a camp breakfast as you fuel up for today’s adventure!.
- Today you will be exploring the desert of Wadi Rum on a four-wheel drive Jeep Tour. The Jeeps will be driven by local Bedouins who will show you the best places in their home region.
- Scramble to the top of sand dunes, hike through canyons, and discover ancient inscriptions on the rock walls.
- After exploring, your jeep drivers will take you to a nice, shady area to enjoy an included lunch.
- Return to your desert camp in the late afternoon.
- Clean up and rest after a long day of adventure and then enjoy another delicious camp dinner.
The Lost City of the Biblical Nabataean
- After breakfast, say goodbye to your camp hosts and take some final pictures of the Wadi Rum desert.
- Begin your journey to the ancient city of Petra. (~2 hour drive)
- Take in the sites of this incredible archeological site, settle into your accommodations, and grab some lunch on your own.
- Begin your first walking tour of Petra with the option to ride a horse.
- Then take a short walk through the Siq, a long narrow feature between two overhanging cliffs.
- Visit one of Petra’s most famous monuments, the Treasury. The facade stands at over 130 feet tall and is surely an impressive sight. You may recognize it from the movie Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.
- This evening you will have free time to try out a local eatery and tour the ancient monuments at night.
- Don’t forget to ask your Trip Leader for recommendations for where to have dinner.
- Enjoy breakfast at your hotel and share stories of your adventures with your new friends.
- Meet up with a local guide who will take you on a hike along the “back-trail” of Petra.
- Walk along stone staircases, across sandy plateaus, and intersect trails with local goat herds.
- End your hike at the Monastery, one of the largest monuments in Petra, and enjoy some time to explore this incredible archeological site.
- This afternoon is free for you to continue exploring Petra. Perhaps check out the Street of Facades or the Theater.
- Ask your Trip Leader for recommendations of what sites are the best to see this afternoon.
- Enjoy the evening and choose from a variety of restaurants for your evening meal.
The Dead Sea & Madaba
- Wake up early and grab some photos of the morning sun reflecting off the monuments of Petra.
- After breakfast, begin your journey to the Dead Sea, the lowest point on Earth. (~3 hour drive)
- Your group will have some time to splash around in the water, go for a swim, float, or simply just relax. Consider covering your body in the mud, for it is said to have natural healing properties.
- Continue your drive to the city of Madaba, the cultural epicenter for Byzantine and Umayyad mosaics.
- Settle into your accommodation, then head out with the group to visit Saint George’s Church.
- See the oldest mosaic map of Jerusalem and other religious monuments inside the church.
- Afterward, continue exploring this ancient town or consider shopping at Hussein bin Ali St, or “The Tourist Street”, to purchase local handicrafts.
- Gather with your new friends for a farewell dinner together.
- Reflect upon your experience in Jordan and make plans to meet up in the future.
Relaxation & Departure
- Consider waking up early to climb up to the top of Mount Nebo, the site where Moses was shown the Promised Land, according to the biblical text.
- Enjoy your final breakfast together in Jordan and take included transportation back to Queen Alia International Airport (AMM), where you trip will end at 11:00 AM. We suggest booking your departure flight a few hours after this time to allow time to check in, go through security, and run any airport errands.
- If you are extending your stay, be sure to ask your Trip Leader for suggestions on what to do and where to go next.
- Welcome to the Under30Experiences Community.