Welcome to Indonesia!
- Meet Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) at 2:00 pm to begin your adventure!
- Your Trip Leader will be there to greet you and your group of fellow travelers before taking included transportation to your hotel in Yogyakarta, Java’s cultural capital.
- Go over the plan for the week with your Trip Leader then go for an orientation walk around the local neighborhood.
- Enjoy your first Indonesian dinner at a restaurant near the hotel and get to know your new travel friends.
Culture of Yogyakarta
- After breakfast, visit Sultan Palace. This complex is a center of Javanese culture, and even includes a museum displaying royal artifacts.
- Then continue on to visit Tamansari Water Castle, the impressive gardens built for the Sultan of Yogyakarta.
- After lunch (non-included) travel to Prambanan Temple. (1 hour drive)
- Tour the complex which comprises over 500 temples and learn about Hinduism and its historical context in Indonesia.
- Return to your accommodation and have some time to freshen up before heading out on a walking food tour with your Trip Leader.
- Walk from the city center to Wijilan as you taste the local foods and take in the nightlife along the way.
Train Ride to Bromo
- Pick up your boxed breakfast and make your way to the station for your train ride to Mojokerta. (Departure by 7:00 AM)
- Relax and take in the picturesque landscapes in an air-conditioned train car equipped with reclining seats. (~3.5 hours)
- Upon arriving to Mojokerto train station, you will take private transportation and continue driving to Bromo with a few stops along the way for bathrooms and to have lunch.
- Arrive to your accommodation located outside of Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park.
- Settle into your boutique cottages and enjoy the natural scenery.
- This afternoon you will have some free time to enjoy the nature of this area. Opt to go for a hike up Ringgit Hill (time dependent) or a gentle stroll through the local villages.
- Have dinner on your own (ask your Trip Leader for excellent restaurant recommendations!), then get an early night’s rest for tomorrow’s pre-dawn hike.
Sunrise Volcano Hike
- Rise at 3:00 am and make your way to the trailhead. The Trip Leader will bring you to the local warung (cafe) to have a cup of tea or coffee with banana fries before climbing up the mountain.
- Catch the sunrise rising over Mount Bromo, then trek through the “Sea of Sand” and continue climbing for a peek inside the crater of an active volcano.
- Have a picnic style breakfast overlooking the mountain ranges before your next adventure.
- Hike to Madakaripura Waterfall, Indonesia's second tallest waterfall.
- Spend some time splashing around at the base of the falls and if the weather permits, you may even be able to walk behind the falls themselves.
- Return to your accommodation and have the rest of the day to relax.
- Dinner tonight is not included and can be eaten at the accommodation's restaurant.
Onwards to Ubud, Bali
- Have breakfast at the accommodation, then drive to Surabaya to take an included domestic flight to Bali. (~2.5 hour drive)
- The domestic flight is approximately 1 hour, though you will gain one hour upon arrival to Denpasar, Bali due to the time zone difference.
- Drive approximately 2 hours to Ubud, taking in the amazing scenery of Bali, the Island of the Gods.
- Welcome to Ubud, Bali's artistic and cultural hub. After settling into your hotel, located in the center of town, join your Trip Leader for a brief orientation walk of the area.
- Discover the downtown of Ubud and its many cafes, restaurants, spas, and handicraft stores.
- Join your new friends for a non-included dinner at a local restaurant. Hang out with your group afterward or return to the hotel for some relaxation.
Campuhan Ridge and Village Tour
- Start your day off with a freshly brewed coffee at the hotel's cafe.
- Walk along Campuhan Ridge and take in the views of Ubud's surrounding countryside. (2 hour walk)
- Visit a local compound, enjoy another cup of Balinese coffee with your hosts, and learn the significance of the daily offerings that you see all over Bali.
- Choose to have lunch in any one of the cute cafes or boutique restaurants in Ubud.
- Select from multiple optional activities including, but not limited to, a yoga or meditation class at The Yoga Barn, a visit to the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary, or a massage at a spa.
- Gather together with the group for an included dinner in a local restaurant in downtown Ubud.
- After dinner, opt to explore more of Ubud's nightlife or return to the hotel.
Tegalalang Rice Terrace
- After breakfast at your accommodations, drive outside of Ubud town to Tegallang Rice Terraces (~45 minute drive).
- Walk along a series of beautifully landscaped rice paddies which follow the traditional Balinese irrigation system known as "subdak".
- If you want that perfect social media photo, you will have the option to do a Bali Swing.
- Visit Gunung Kawi Sebatu, a temple dedicated to Vishnu, the god of water. During your visit you will have the option to participate in a Balinese purification ceremony in the temple's bathing pools.
- Have lunch, on your own expense, in a local restaurant and then return to Ubud for a free afternoon.
- Enjoy another afternoon to discover Ubud your way. Visit Tegenungan waterfalls, take an Indonesian cooking class, or simply just walk around checking out all the local shops.
- Dinner is not included tonight, making it a perfect opportunity to try some local favorites. Your Trip Leader can share some of the best places to check out and suggest some dishes to try.
Ubud to Canggu
- Say goodbye to Ubud and drive to Canggu, a small town located on the southwestern coast. (~2 hour drive)
- Arrive to Canggu and receive recommendations from your Trip Leader on local restaurants to eat at before checking into your hotel.
- After settling into your accommodation, head to the beach for some relaxation and to see your first view of the Indian Ocean.
- Grab a fresh fruit shake or a mixed cocktail, and simply take in some downtime at the beach.
- Tonight's dinner is not included but your Trip Leader will be able to recommend some local favorites.
Surf lessons and Tanah Lot Temple
- Enjoy breakfast at your hotel and then make your way to the beach for surf lessons. Canggu is home to some of Bali's best surfing and today you will get to experience it first hand.
- If surfing is not for you, speak to your Trip Leader about other optional activities such as bike riding or a yoga class.
- Enjoy some free time to explore the cafes, art galleries, and local handicraft stores in downtown Canggu.
- Depart in the late afternoon for a trip to Tanah Lot, an ancient temple dedicated to the gods of the sea. Take in the sunset, capture a few photos of one of Bali's most iconic temples, and reflect on your time in Indonesia.
- Gather together with your new group of friends for one final dinner together as you share stories of your latest experience.
Relaxation and departure
- Relax at the accommodations or head into town for last minute shopping.
- If time permits, squeeze in one last optional activity.
- Check out of your hotel and take included transportation to Ngurah Rai International Airport where you will arrive at 11:00 am.
- Say your final farewells to your new friends before catching a flight back home or extending your travels in Indonesia.