Welcome to Indonesia!
- Arrive Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) before 12:00 pm.
- Meet your Trip Leader and your group of fellow travelers before taking included transportation to your hotel in Yogyakarta, Java’s cultural capital.
- Go over the plan for the week with your Trip Leader then travel to Prambanan Temple.
- Tour the complex which comprises over 500 temples and learn about Hinduism and its historical context in Indonesia.
- Watch the sunset then enjoy an included group dinner.
- Experience a performance of Ramayana ballet then return to your accommodations.
Culture of Yogyakarta
- After breakfast, depart for a 1.5-hour journey to visit the world’s largest Buddhist temple, Borobudur temple.
- Tour this incredible monument and learn why it is still an important pilgrimage destination for Buddhist followers.
- Return to the center of Yogyakarta and visit Sultan Palace. This complex is a center of Javanese culture, and even includes a museum displaying royal artifacts.
- Afterwards, continue on to visit Tamansari Water Castle, the impressive gardens built for the Sultan of Yogyakarta.
- Enjoy a guided walking tour from the city center to Wijilan. Be sure to taste the local foods and take in the nightlife along the way.
Train Ride to Malang
- Enjoy breakfast at the hotel, then make your way to the station for your train ride to Malang.
- Relax and take in the picturesque landscapes in an air-conditioned train car equipped with reclining seats.
- Arrive to Malang, check into your boutique hotel, then explore the mansion lined streets of this former Dutch colonial town.
- Enjoy dinner as a group with your new friends at a local restaurant. Afterward, go for a stroll to discover more interesting street art and tasty street food.
Waterfalls and a Rainbow Village
- After breakfast, drive 1.5-hours into the jungle to experience a natural wonder at Coban Rondo Waterfall.
- Be amazed at the power of the water as it drops 275 feet, spraying mist in all directions.
- Drive to Jodipan village and explore the quirkiness of this rainbow painted town. Be greeted with smiling faces of the welcoming community as you learn about the local art movement taking place here.
- Continue driving 3 hours to the base of Mount Bromo and check into your boutique hotel.
- Have dinner on your own (ask your Trip Leader for excellent restaurant recommendations!), then get an early night’s rest for tomorrow’s pre-dawn hike.
Sunrise Volcano Hike
- Rise at 3:00 am and make your way to the trailhead. The Trip Leader will bring you to the local warung (cafe) to have a cup of tea or coffee with banana fries before climbing up the mountain.
- Catch the sunrise rising over Mount Bromo, then trek through the “Sea of Sand” and continue climbing for a peek inside the crater of an active volcano.
- Once back at your hotel, enjoy an included breakfast after this memorable morning excursion.
- Drive approximately 5 hours to Kalibaru, taking in the amazing scenery of Marwan Mountain and the Gumitir Valley.
- Settle into your boutique cottages and enjoy the natural scenery.
- Join your new friends for an included dinner as a group at a local restaurant. Hang out with your group afterward or tuck in early after having an early wake-up call.
Plantations and on to Bali!
- Start your day off with a freshly brewed, locally sourced, coffee or tea.
- Head out to tour the nearby plantations and learn about the methods of agriculture unique to this region.
- Travel by van to the far eastern port of Ketapang.
- Take a ferry and cross the Java Strait (about 1 hour) on your way to the western coast of Bali.
- Arrive in Bali and make your way to the charming fishing village of Pemuteran, your home base for the next two nights.
- Kick off your shoes, relax with a cocktail or cold beverage of your choice, and watch your first sunset in Bali.
- Feast on your first Balinese dinner as you prep to experience a new Indonesian culture.
Snorkeling a coral reef
- After breakfast at your accommodations, head towards the pier and board your private boat.
- Cruise the clear blue waters to Menjangan Island and discover the underwater scenery on a snorkeling excursion.
- Enjoy a packed lunch on the island and continue snorkeling the coral reefs of Bali Barat National Park.
- After exploring life under the sea, return to the mainland and make the most of you free time by relaxing or choosing to participate in an optional activity.
- Dinner is not included tonight, making it a perfect opportunity to try some local favorites. Your Trip Leader can share some of the best places to check out and suggest some dishes to try.
Pemuteran to Ubud
- Take in the coastal views over breakfast, then get ready for your journey to Ubud.
- After about 1.5-hours of driving, stretch your legs with an easy hike through the tiny hilltop village of Munduk. Meander through coffee and clove plantations as you make your way to spectacular waterfalls.
- Stop at Lake Bratan for a delightful view of Pura Ulun Danu Bratan, a Hindu-Buddhist temple set on a small island in the lake.
- View the famous panoramic landscapes of Jatiluwih Rice Terraces. Be sure to have your camera ready and plenty of room on your memory card!
- Arrive to Ubud, check into your accommodations, and enjoy a free evening to explore Bali’s cultural and artistic hub.
- Dinner is not included tonight, but your Trip Leader will share some local favorites to check out.
Ubud Countryside Cycling
- Be sure to take in the views of the surrounding countryside as you fill up on breakfast at your boutique hotel.
- Saddle up on bicycles for a 2.5-hour bike ride through the backstreets, villages, and rice fields of Ubud. There will be multiple stops along the way for photographs and refreshments, plus a majority of the ride is downhill.
- Enjoy some free time to explore the cafes, art galleries, and local handicraft stores in downtown Ubud.
- You can even join an optional yoga or meditation class at the famous Yoga Barn.
- Gather together with your new group of friends for one final dinner together as you share stories of your latest experience.
Relaxation and departure
- Relax at the accommodations or head into town for last minute shopping.
- If time permits, squeeze in one last optional activity like the Bali Swing, a water ceremony at Tirta Empul temple, or a visit to Tegenungan Waterfall.
- Check out of your hotel and take included transportation to Ngurah Rai International Airport to catch your flight departing after 12:00 pm.
- Don’t forget to share contact information with your new community of friends before parting ways.