Optimize Your Mind, Body & Spirit with Tips from Six Leading Health & Wellness Experts
This week’s episode is a special compilation episode with stories & advice from various experts like Leo Babauta, Juli Bauer Roth, Joy Parrish, Dr. Sharad Paul, Diana Stobo and Under30Experiences’ very own Luz García.
- Leo Babauta is a writer from Guam, who was once deeply in debt, overweight, and a smoker. Within a few short years, he completely eliminated his debt, lost 65 pounds, quit smoking and started Zen Habits which was named Top 25 Blogs by Time Magazine (twice!). Leo is the author of a best selling productivity e-book and today more than 200K subscribers read Leo’s work on Zen Habits where he discusses in greater detail many of the topics we cover in this episode.
- Juli Bauer Roth of PaleOMG.com is a New York Times Best Selling Author. Juli is the author of Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook and her recipes and healthy living tips have spread like wildfire on the internet.
- Joy Parrish is the co-host of Girls Gone WOD Podcast. She got into the world of podcasting to talk about her passion for crossfit and the crossfit community. She loves running, CrossFit, yoga, food, fashion, music, podcasts, and listening to audio books. Joy is also a licensed professional mental health manager and has been a fitness instructor for 13 years.
- Dr Sharad Paul, author of the book The Genetics of Health, has lived across the world over the years. In addition to being an author, he is also an evolutionary biologist and holds a Masters in Medical Law and Ethics/Master of Philosophy from the University of Glasgow. He is currently completing a Doctor of Philosophy based on his groundbreaking research into the best skin lines for cutaneous surgery.
- Diana Stobo is the award-winning author of the healthy lifestyle book Get Naked Fast! A Guide to Stripping Away the Foods that Weigh You Down to Lose Weight Fast. The book serves as a guide that Diana wrote from her own personal experience healing herself from illness, losing 100+ pounds, and changing her life. Diana helps others heal themselves through her books and her center “The Retreat” in Costa Rica.
- Luz Garcia is a 1,500 hour registered yoga teacher and Chilean native. To put that in perspective, a certified Yoga teacher only needs 200 hours. She teaches an energetic Vinyasa Flow using props and alignment cues to take your yoga to the next level. She has 14 years of yoga studies that consist of Yoga Works Method, Vinyasa Flow, Yoga Shala Method, Restorative, and Prenatal. She is also a certified reflexologist, colon hydro therapist, and aromatherapist. Luz is Under30Experiences’ yoga teacher and leads retreats in Bali and Costa Rica!
Our episode today is all about health and wellness. We are sharing some of our favorite clips from athletes, authorities in nutrition, and other health and wellness experts on topics like how make healthy food taste good, optimizing your nutrition and exercise based on your genes, and a variety of suggestions for finding a counselor.
We went back into the archives and dug up a few excellent episodes that highlight some special health and wellness journeys and pieces of advice and we put them all together for you in today’s episode!
You will hear from authors, podcasters, bloggers, and more in this week’s episode of the Live Different Podcast.
- Leo’s inspiring story of positive change
- How Leo quit smoking
- Handling discomfort
- Creating “moats” to deal with urges
- How Juli got into paleo
- Juli’s journey to blogging
- What paleo means for the everyday person
- Ways to make food taste good
- How the Girls Gone WOD podcast got started
- When podcasting helps you feel like you’re not alone
- Where people can go to get some self care
- What people can understand about their own health, especially about their line of genetics
- Should everyone get a genetics test done to see what health conditions they might be predisposed to
- The role of genes in diet and exercise
- Diana’s health and wellness story
- Overcoming health obstacles
- The process of healing
- The benefits of crystals
- Why Luz dedicated 1500 hours toward her Yoga certification
- What to look for in a yoga teacher
- The connection between spirituality and yoga
Quotes From The Episode
“In order to push yourself into discomfort, you have to have a big motivation. (Leo Babauta)”
“Paleo is just eating what our ancestors ate before we were able to process grains and going back to the simple things. (Juli Bauer Roth)”
“We can make baked goods, grain free, with almond flour… without the crap…. and going back to foods that our body is made to process. (Juli Bauer Roth)”
“If you look at America and how overweight and obese many of us are, of course it has to do with lack of exercise, but most likely what we are eating on a regular basis. (Juli Bauer Roth)”
“If you look back 50 years ago, we didn’t have the health issues we have today, because of the foods we are eating now. (Juli Bauer Roth)”
“We try to be appropriately transparent. (Joy Parrish)”
“Everyone can benefit from coming in [to therapy] and unloading. (Joy Parrish)”
“We must look at genes as a blueprint but not our destiny. We are in control. (Dr. Sharad Paul)”
“Test for wellness rather than illness. Until something is definitely curable, there is no need to test for that. (Dr. Sharad Paul)”
“The only time your body works against you is when you go against what your body is asking for. (Diana Stobo)”
“When you eliminate the foods that are causing your body inflammation, you automatically start the process of healing. (Diana Stobo)”
“A way to really connect and embody my body was through yoga. (Luz García)”
“Yoga is not about how good you do a handstand, it’s about how good you love and connect to yourself. (Luz García)”